2 cups grated cucumber, green papaya, or green mango
1/2 cup grated carrot
3 tomatoes, sliced into quarters
1/3 cup fresh green beans cut into 1-inch sticks
1 cup unripe durian, cut or shredded into small pieces
1 or 2 birds eye chillies (if you're a wimp like me, 1/2 chilli should suffice)
one medium clove garlic
2-3 tbsp of white sugar or if you can get it, palm sugar
salt to taste
1. Place the chillies and garlic in a mortar and pound until smashed into a paste. If you have no mortar and pestle, chop very finely and smash on the bottom of a bowl with the back of a spoon.
2. Add the sugar and limes and mix into a paste
3. Add the durian chunks and green bean and pound lightly to crush or break into smaller pieces, but not too small
4. Add the rest of the ingredients, and pound into veggies are softened and have absorbed the juice. Again, if you have no mortar, use your hands to knead the salad, squeezing with your fingers to break down
5. Serve inside a hollowed out durian shell.